Submitting a Claim

To submit a claim, you should complete and submit the Extension Request Form. It is recommended that you attach your Claim Form when submitting your Extension Request Form. Extension Forms must be submitted either before or together with a Claim Form.


Acceptable forms of valid government-issued identification include:

  • Social Insurance Card
  • Driver’s license Card
  • Provincial/Territory Photo Card
  • Passport
  • Birth Certificate
  • Old Age Security (OAS) Identification Card
  • Firearms Possession and Acquisition License (PAL)
  • Official Military ID
  • Nexus Card
  • Bring Your ID (BYID) Card (age of majority card)
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • U.S. State ID
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship
  • Indian Status Card:
    • Certificate of Indian Status (CIS), or
    • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS)
  • Land Claim Beneficiary Card (Inuit)

Medical and dental records

Medical, dental, nursing, or therapy records can be obtained from your healthcare provider. If you cannot access past records from a doctor or dentist hired by Indian Affairs, request a current record that documents the injury you previously suffered and any lasting effects to this day.

If you cannot obtain any medical, dental, nursing, or therapy records, you can provide a Sworn Declaration included on Part 6 (page 12) of the Claim Form.

Legal Advice on Draft Claim Forms

Legal counsel is available, at no cost to you, to help review your narrative and assist you in selecting the appropriate level. Please call 1-844-539-3815 to speak with a member of our legal team.

Amending a Claim Form

Claimants are generally not permitted to amend their Claim Form once it has been submitted. However, Claimants may have an opportunity to submit further information if the Claims Administrator makes a request for additional materials or on a Reconsideration of a decision where the Claims Administrator assessed a claim at a lower level than the one selected on the Claim Form.

Please also note that Claimants may only submit one (1) Claim Form under the Claims Process.

Help and Support

Claim Form Short Video Series

Who can witness a Claim Form?

What are the required documents for identification and proof of school attendance?

What supporting records should be included with your claim form?

Who can be a Guarantor and what do they do?

How do you file a Claim Form on behalf of a deceased Claimant?

Which Federal Day Schools are Included in this Settlement?

What should Claimants include in their narrative?

Frequently Asked Questions – Claims Form